Passport Land - Robert
James Wilkins (1892-1969)
Robert James Wilkins (5 Sep 1892, London - 1969, near Derby). FreeBMD
confirms that he was born in Oct-Dec quarter 1892 in West Ham, London.
His death was registered July qtr 1969, Belper, Derbyshire.
R J Wilkins was a British Army officer, with the Sherwood Foresters
(Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment). In the May 1927 Monthly Army
List, his promotion to Captain is mentioned. He would eventually rise
to the rank of Brigadier General.
On 12 May 1927, Robert Wilkins (34) arrived in London from Bombay on
the P&O SS Rajputana. He was in the Army, living in India. His
given address is c/o Lloyds Bank, 6 Pall Mall.
On 24 Jun 1935, Robert James Wilkins (42) and Joan Wilkins (30) arrived
in Southampton from Durban, South Africa on the SS Arundel Castle. He
was an Army Officer. They were permanently resident in England, living
at The Grange, Repton, Derbyshire. On 10 Sep 1934, RJ Wilkins joined
the staff of Tapton House School, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. On 31 Oct
1938, he left to take up an appointment as Schoolmaster in the RAF. In
1939, Brigadier RJ Wilkins was Secretary of the Derbyshire Territorial
In 1927, Robert J Wilkins married Joan Sybil D Inglis (18 Aug 1904,
West Derby, Lancs - Aug qtr, 1997, Lewes, East Sussex). She died aged
93, and was an only child. They married Oct qtr 1927, St Martin,
London, and had one child:
- Amanda J D Wilkins (Oct qtr 1944, Derbyshire - ), living at 33
Harvard Rd, Ringmer, Lewes, East Sussex in 1995.
His father was
Edwin Wilkins (born Jul-Sep quarter 1852, London, Borough or St
George's Hanover Sq). In 1871, he was an assistant cheesemonger, living
with his parents. In 1881, he was an unmarried Butterman, living with
his parents. In 1891 and 1901, he was employed as a chairmaker. In
1891, Edwin Wilkins was living at 9 Twine Court ____, Shadwell,
London. In 1901, Edwin Wilkins was living at 10 Cornwell St,
His mother was Sarah Wilkins (30 in 1891, 39 in 1901, born
They had children:
His grandparents were:
- Thomas Nat Wilkins (17 in 1901, born London, Stepney). Railway
porter in 1901.
- George Vin Wilkins (8 in 1891, born London, Stepney).
- Charles Edwin Wilkins (5 in 1891, 14 in 1901, born London, Mile
End). Rope stretcher in 1901.
- Sarah Louise Wilkins (1 in 1891, 11 in 1901, born London, St
- Eliza Anne Wilkins (1m in 1891, born London, Shadwell).
- Robert James Wilkins (9 in 1901, born London, St George's).
- Marian Wilkins (7 in 1901, born London, St George's).
- John Wilkins (55 in 1871, 65 in 1881, born East Challow, Wantage,
Berks). Master Cheesemonger, then Butterman, living at 45 Elizabeth St,
Knightsbridge in 1871 and 1881.
- Sarah _____ (56 in 1871, 65 in 1881, born Deddington, Oxford,
Captain R J Wilkins's British India passport was issued in Karachi
(now in Pakistan) on 16 Feb 1927. You can also view his 1963 passport.